Skip to main content

Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies

For several years, I've made this cookie recipe that I concocted myself, and my kids call it my specialty cookies. I found this recipe online today that looks almost identical to mine, but it has two extra ingredients, baking powder and cinnamon, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Then of course, I kicked it up a notch to make them festive looking by adding Wilton's candy melts in red and green. They are phenomenal!
Thank you, Mrs. Bush! Here's Laura Bush's Cowboy Cookies recipe for your delight.
  • 3 cups flour
  • 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups butter (at room temperature)
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 cups sweetened flake coconut
  • 2 cups chopped pecans (8 ounces)
Mix dry ingredients together in bowl, then set aside. Mix butter and sugars together, add eggs and vanilla until creamy. Add the flour mixture, then the chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans. Drop onto cookie sheet using medium scoop. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes approximately. They are so chewy and delicious. After they cool, a drizzled with red and green candy melts to jazz them up. Makes about 7 dozen cookies.

Comments

Cathleen said…
Looks yummy! Can't wait to try these out. Always love your recipes :)
Heidi said…
Love the red and green- yum!
Jennifer said…
Yum...yum...they look very tasty!! :-)
Bobbi said…
I think I have this recipe (and they are good) but I never thought to add the red and green melts to make them look so festive!

Popular posts from this blog

It's my birthday!

Here's a cute little picture of me in kindergarten, 1968. All my life, I've never forgotten this shot below in first grade (1969) when the photog asked me to say "peaches" and he snapped the shot at the "ch" sound. If you're trying to get a kid to smile, don't tell them to say peaches. It's scarred me for life. Mom, what the heck happened to my hair? Did I fix it myself? After all, I was in second grade and very capable. My grandma crocheted that groovy vest for me, but who is responsible for the hack job on my hair? Hello, 1970! Who knows where my third grade picture is. We moved so often, changing schools, that I might have missed picture day. Next is my fourth grade mug shot. I must have sworn off bangs by then. Thank goodness for those plastic barrettes to deal with the in-between length. Notice how every year I wore green? Yeah, it's been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. I don't have an actual school pic of me in f...

The BIG REVEAL!

We LOVE our new pool! There are a couple of problems that need to be fixed, so we're crossing our fingers that they get it done right, and soon, considering we have given them the final check for the balance of the pool, and we don't have any leverage. Three of the waterfalls work. This is the main one and I like the natural look. Below, here's the deep end waterfall, and it's flows nicely. The water sheer like this one, that flows into the shallow beach area, is the fall that is not working. It's frustrating, but hopefully they'll fix it soon. The fountain in the spa is blocked too. Here's the small rock waterfall, which works just great. It took about 18 hours to fill the pool and we practically watched it gallon by gallon. I stayed up all night long, making sure it didn't overflow. We swim in it every day. Last night we went on a midnight swim and it was beautiful. The water temperature is perfect. I'm extremely thankful that we have our new...

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan....