Skip to main content

Caramel Pecan Filled Shortbread Bars

These delicious, gooey bars were the result of me tweaking a recipe called Salted Caramel Butter Bars that I got from my friend, Shana.  Those were tasty, but I decided that I wanted to create a version without the course sea salt and add some pecans, my favorite nut.
Crust
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour

Center filling
1 bag (14 ounces) caramels, unwrapped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecan pieces

Topping
1 cup butter, chilled
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup pecan pieces, finely chopped

Mix together the crust ingredients in stand mixer, then press dough onto the bottom of a prepared 9x13 pan that has been lightly sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees, then cool for 15 minutes.

While crust is baking, microwave the caramels, heavy cream, and vanilla for two minutes on high.  Stir together until smooth.  If needed, cook for an additional 30 seconds, and stir until smooth.  Add the pecans and set aside until the crust has been out of the oven for fifteen minutes, then pour caramel on next.

Mix together the topping ingredients in stand mixer. These ingredients are almost the exact ones as the crust, except for the butter temperature being cold, and the additional finely chopped pecans.  You'll want a crumbly topping, and cold butter keeps it that texture.    After mixing everything together, dump the crumbly topping on top of the caramel layer, then spread it evenly over top.  Bake an additional 30 minutes.  Cool, cut, and serve.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's my birthday!

Here's a cute little picture of me in kindergarten, 1968. All my life, I've never forgotten this shot below in first grade (1969) when the photog asked me to say "peaches" and he snapped the shot at the "ch" sound. If you're trying to get a kid to smile, don't tell them to say peaches. It's scarred me for life. Mom, what the heck happened to my hair? Did I fix it myself? After all, I was in second grade and very capable. My grandma crocheted that groovy vest for me, but who is responsible for the hack job on my hair? Hello, 1970! Who knows where my third grade picture is. We moved so often, changing schools, that I might have missed picture day. Next is my fourth grade mug shot. I must have sworn off bangs by then. Thank goodness for those plastic barrettes to deal with the in-between length. Notice how every year I wore green? Yeah, it's been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. I don't have an actual school pic of me in f...

The BIG REVEAL!

We LOVE our new pool! There are a couple of problems that need to be fixed, so we're crossing our fingers that they get it done right, and soon, considering we have given them the final check for the balance of the pool, and we don't have any leverage. Three of the waterfalls work. This is the main one and I like the natural look. Below, here's the deep end waterfall, and it's flows nicely. The water sheer like this one, that flows into the shallow beach area, is the fall that is not working. It's frustrating, but hopefully they'll fix it soon. The fountain in the spa is blocked too. Here's the small rock waterfall, which works just great. It took about 18 hours to fill the pool and we practically watched it gallon by gallon. I stayed up all night long, making sure it didn't overflow. We swim in it every day. Last night we went on a midnight swim and it was beautiful. The water temperature is perfect. I'm extremely thankful that we have our new...

Triathlon triumph

Are you kidding me? A triathlon and I have never belonged in the same sentence. It must have been time for something new! (The "BEFORE" race shot, with goggles and swim cap in hand.) What an unforgettable week this was! I actually DID enter my first triathlon, with the goal of simply finishing it. Take note of the emphasis on the word FIRST, because I loved it so much, that you can guarantee that there will be more. It was a blast. Seriously. My friends Lorraine and Robin had trained and signed up to do the event, which was two days ago, on Saturday. Three days beforehand, I heard about it and basically had a spontaneous urge to join them, so I registered. The only partial preparation ahead of time that I had been doing was cycling in the neighborhood here and there on my mountain bike with some other friends. And doing some micro-laps in our backyard pool. Our friend, Dave, was also there. The three of us women appreciated Dave's encouragement and support, as he's ...