Skip to main content

Nashville for the first time

My sweetheart and I will be flying to Nashville for the first time in a few hours to head to a wedding. We'll be gone for two days while Grandma and Grandpa, my in-laws, hold down the fort.

I was printing out our boarding passes and some driving directions from the airport to our hotel and discovered there is a temple in Nashville. I had no idea. I hope we can have a moment to drive by, to see it at least. We'll be in Tennessee for about 48 hours.
The wedding should be a memorable event. The bride-to-be is the daughter of my former employer, Gordon Gee, the chancellor of Vanderbilt University. I worked for Gordon while he was the president of the University of Colorado as the manager of the President's Residence. It was a unique and special job and I loved working for them. Google him and read all about Gordon--he's been a university president at more universities than anyone in the US.

Gordon is a very nice guy and his daughter, Rebekah, is all grown up now. It's hard to believe. I've known Rebekah since she was a preteen. Her late mother, Elizabeth, passed away shortly after we adopted Lindsey. Elizabeth was influential in our making the final step toward adoption, as she and Gordon had adopted their child too. In fact, Lindsey's middle name is after Elizabeth, who died of cancer in her mid-forties. I miss her. I'll be thinking of Elizabeth Gee at her daughter's wedding. I look forward to meeting Rebekah's new soon-to-be husband, Alan, too, as well as Gordon's current wife, Constance.

My son turned nine a couple days ago and Grandma and Grandpa were here to celebrate. Yeah, Christopher! I'll add a post all about his fun birthday soon. Plus G & G were able to go to Lindsey's first high school choir concert. Our calendars have been filled completely.

Now I want to put one quick thing to my Dutch friend next...so forgive the gibberish.

Daag, Marjolein! Ik hoop dat je kan wachten nog enkele dagen voor een groetje van mij. Ik was erg blij te horen dat je mijn blog heb gelezen. Heel veel bedankt! Doe de groeten aan je ouders en Arjan. Tot ziens!

Alright, I'm sure I made a number of grammar and spelling errors, but I don't know how to type accent marks on words on the keyboard, let alone speak Dutch as fluently as I did back in the day. But it was an attempt to let Marjolein, who speaks flawless English, know that I'm thinking of her.

I'll report to y'all later after I return from the Volunteer State! Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Comments

Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to hear more. (HB to Christopher!!!) I'm really glad you guys got to go to this wedding and have such a special relationship with this family. So neat!
ninnies said…
I'm glad you guys are back now! I love you! :D
Anonymous said…
Are you back? How was it? Can't wait to hear fun details and see cute pics :)
Heidi said…
Hope you had fun? How was it there?
It was really interesting to read this post, because Vanderbilt and University of Colorado are both on the horizon for us for law school. I'll have to ask for your opinion on the schools and the cities. Hope you had a fun time!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Ninnies and Nini

Our family got to attend the monthly stake temple day at the Taipei temple on Saturday.   Lindsey and Christopher did their temple work, then waited outside on the beautiful grounds and at the chapel next door until we were finished with our session. After that, we enjoyed hamburgers at a place we heard about called California Grill, then did some exploring.
Lindsey arrived last week from Rexburg, completing 32 credit hours and her first year of college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. We are so glad to have her home with us!  She will be with us until she starts school again in September and will be taking two classes online in the meantime.  In addition to Lindsey's arrival, we've been blessed to have the company of 7-year-old Nini (her real name is Yeh Min-Yu) with us this week.  She's so darling and we love having her around too.  It's kind of funny that when Lindsey was a little toddler and she could not say her name well, she called herself Ninnies.  So we h…

Isaac's creation

One year ago today, this little angel came into our world, sent directly from heaven, without a doubt.  Isaac is our fourth child, but the first that I gave birth to.  He was the result of a successful fertility treatment called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), our first and only attempt.  The fact that I was 48 years old when I got pregnant, is a miracle in and of itself.  I had long since given up the idea of ever being able to experience pregnancy and childbirth after having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, until a rare contact from a dear friend had renewed my desire.  This is the story of how Isaac came to be, and the loving environment that welcomed him.  Take note of the numerous small miracles along the way, leading up to our pursuing this dream.

There was a three-week window of opportunity when our family had come to our Austin home for the holidays, while we were living in Taiwan for one year.  My long, lost friend sent us a beautiful Christmas card, perhaps the fi…

Flagstaff House Executive Chef Mark Monette's Family Legacy

Mark Monette, executive chef and partner of Flagstaff House, has been the man behind the scenes in the kitchen for countless special occasions and celebrations. This fine dining restaurant situated a few miles up Flagstaff Road in Boulder, perched at the Flatirons' edge with a bird's-eye view of the city, is where Monette has spent more than three decades fine-tuning his craft in this family run business. The restaurant and staff have received accolades and notoriety locally and nationally, including recognition for being named "Top Ten Restaurant in Boulder," "Most Romantic Restaurants in America" and "Best American Cuisine and Best Wine Selection." (This article is from a Q&A interview I did with him in February, 2017.)
Your father, Don Monette, bought the Flagstaff House in 1971 when you were 10 years old. What do you remember about the restaurant back in those days?
"We would come up here in the summer and work, and it was just busy al…