Skip to main content

'Tis the season











What a busy season it has been for my kids' first full week out of school for the winter break. I feel like I have so many more things I would like to do, and I'm trying to make this time enjoyable for them, our first time ever to spend Christmas in Texas. Thank goodness we missed the blizzard in Colorado! We would have been stuck somewhere in Kansas had we gone.
  • On Monday morning, I volunteered to cook for the Hyde Park Seniors who meet there daily for lunch. I was essentially their entertainment and prepared Streusel Berry Tart. They are so sweet. It's been a couple of years since I did this. I brought the thank you note along with me that they had sent me from the last time I visited and read it to them. It was so sad because three of the people who had signed the card the last time have died and I felt bad that it had been that long since I came back. I hope to return soon.
  • Tuesday night, I went out to the Melting Pot to celebrate my friend, Adele's, 37th birthday and we had a fun evening enjoying the fondues, from cheese filled pots for dipping bread, cauliflower, celery, and carrots, to other savory fondues for the shrimp, chicken, salmon, and steak. To complete the experience, the hazelnut dessert was a hit, dipping and drizzling the chocolate over the strawberries, bananas, brownies, and cheesecake. Adele looked fantastic but unfortunately, I did not remember to take pictures.
  • Wednesday night, we went on a mother and daughter outing with some friends. We met for a quick bite to eat at Johnny Carino's, which turned out to be far from quick, then headed to the UT Bass Concert Hall to enjoy The Nutcracker ballet. Lindsey and I had a terrific night out together and she wants to go there again next year. The familiar music is always a pleasing sound of the holiday, and of course, the ballet dancers putting it to life is the best part.
  • Thursday afternoon, Christopher got to go bicycling for Cub Scouts while Lindsey and I went Christmas shopping.
  • Friday's big excitement was watching my sister be on The Price is Right with Bob Barker. She was really nervous and when she was bidding on a silver service set, she asked Bob four times, "Is it silver plated?" It was pretty funny, but I can't imagine how nervous I would have been too. Tonight, I called her on the phone and asked, "Is it silver plated?" She started laughing and said her son keeps saying that to her too. Another classic line that we had fun ribbing her about was when she asked Bob if the trip to St. Thomas that she was trying to win was round trip. Bob commented something like, "We wouldn't just send you there and leave you."
Tonight I have been trying to wrap gifts and get some final things ready for Christmas. I haven't yet managed to squeeze in one big baking day, that I was really hoping to get to. That will most likely need to be next week because I was asked to substitute teach the Gospel Doctrine class on Sunday. Yikes! I told Fred, who normally teaches it, that it's my greatest fear, to teach that class. Kelly suggests that I ask a lot of questions to the participants. Since it will be on Christmas Eve, I'm anticipating plenty of input.

Comments

Summer Adams said…
Soooooooooo fun!!! I love that you all did that. That's my favorite tradition (The Nutcracker). You all look so pretty and I love all the fun pics. Looks like your holiday events have been a blast! That's awesome. Miss you and see you soon! xo, SA

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party!

Hopefully this title, Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party , does not sound irreverent, because as an Activity Days leader, I felt compelled to come up with a fun end-of-the-summer event that is also uplifting, and after all, who doesn't love a splash in the pool on a hot day in August?  My current church calling, or official role that I volunteer for, allows me to plan two activities each month for girls ages 8 to 11, that will encourage them to learn and live the gospel, serve others, and use the talents Heavenly Father has given them, to learn to do many good things.  This year's seminary course of study for high school students is The Book of Mormon, and since I am a huge fan of this inspired book of scripture, I came up with this idea to have each girl show up to my house with a written summary of one of her favorite stories from within its many pages, and share it with the rest of the girls, while outside in our swimsuits near our backyard swimming pool!  As each girl shares

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan.  Who would have thoug

Elder Larson to return from Thailand soon

Soon is relative, I suppose. Our son has been away from home more than a year and a half as he has been volunteering as a full-time missionary in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since September 14, 2016. He will be home in four months and is working so hard, knowing his time there is winding down. He has been assigned to train Elder Ben Meyer, from Sydney, Australia, as they serve in Ubon, Thailand. Christopher has been there since November. We are very proud of his dedication and hard work. This week in Thailand, the new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, with his wife, Wendy Nelson, along with one of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and his wife, Patricia Holland, will be on their world ministering tour and be where our son is. The Church members and missionaries in Thailand are very excited and happy for this special visit! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I look forward to pictures and stories to come.