Skip to main content

We got to meet Hal and he was terrific!

Hal Ketchum's concert tonight was fantastic, and held in such a small, intimate setting at One World Theater. We had excellent seats and got to meet him after the show for photos and autographs. He signed my CDs and I got to speak to him briefly. He was gracious and sweet, but kind of stressing out because there was a long line for others to meet him still and he had a second show to do. He said, "I've got another show, Baby!" And he was trying to get through the line quickly when I tried to talk to him a bit more. He was so cute. I totally loved meeting him and couldn't believe it because I've been such a fan of his music for a long time. Kelly really enjoyed the show too. Thank you, Kelly! It was a wonderful treat, even effervescent. I didn't realize this, but Hal Ketchum was "discovered" when he was 38 years old and worked as a cabinet maker in San Marcos, Texas. He got a phone call from someone at a record label who had heard his demo, and he "signed his life away" and moved to Nashville. He sounds like he really misses Texas. He has a huge Texas tattoo on his arm (the one that's around me in the photo). All of his band members are from Texas. The lead guitarist is from Bastrop, the bass guitarist is from New Braunfels, and the drummer is from Austin. Hal was originally from the east and moved here to Texas at age 19. He lived here for about 20 years then headed to Nashville after signing the record deal. He's now 54. He was very laid-back and entertaining and talked to us a lot. There was an obnoxious {drunk} lady in the crowd that was kind of heckling him when he'd try to tell a story before singing, and while she was excessively annoying, Hal handled her really well. It was pretty funny. He put on an awesome show and I wished I could have stayed for the second show! He'll be performing in New Braunfels in October and I would so like to go see him again.
Lindsey took our picture on the front porch before we left on our date night. Kelly was tired from a long day's work, so I drove while he ate dinner and relaxed.

Comments

Heidi said…
Cute new blog layout! Did you do it on your own or have help? I might need some tips! Also, cute hair, I like it right now.
Kelly said…
Hi Heidi, I basically had no sleep last night trying to figure out the layout! Kelly helped me a lot and took a few minutes to do the things that I was trying to figure out for hours. Thanks!
Bobbi said…
I haven't checked the blog for a week and I missed so much! You are a busy lady! The new layout looks great. I haven't ever heard of Hal Ketchum, so this was all new to me. I'll check out some of his music. Fun to see the pics of Scout Camp (brings back memories with my own boys) and read about Lindsay's social life. Isn't this a scary time for parents?! driving, boyfriends, etc. Hang in there, it's an adventure.
LaNan said…
Love the new blog look! Very pretty pic of you and hubbie.
Lonna said…
I really don't know how or when you have time to do everything. Baby showers, boy scouts, meeting and greeting dating prospects for your daughter, plus working, and church stuff!! I think that you are amazing. I am glad that your concert went well. I hope that you get to see his next concert.
Julie said…
I love your blog's new look! that's awesome that you did it yourself too!

I really like your date night picture - you look fantastic!! Cute shirt!
f said…
You commented how many posts La Nan got about the book post. Yours is among my favorite blogs to read but at the risk of being intrusive, I refrain from making comments. Wow what a powerhouse of talent you are and so beautiful too. I don't know who Hal Ketchum is either but I'll have to check his music out. (La Nan's mom)
Kelly said…
Thank you, everyone! I love the new look too and am grateful for my husband's help. I'm excited to hear from each of you. Hi, LaNan's mom! Feel free to comment any time...my own mom never even looks at my blog, let alone comments. My inlaws never comment either, but at least they look at the blog now and then...so, thanks for the greetings and kudos on the new layout.
Julie V said…
Wow, you look great with your main squeeze! I love your new blog layout. It is totally rad. Is Hal a country singer? I am into Buble myself....
love you tons sis!
Barker family said…
Hi Kelly, it was great to "Ketch"up on your blog haha I knew you would like that one! I loved reading about boy prospects for Lindsay. Yikes I don't even want to think of it. I'm also in the midst of redoing my blog. It is such a task!! Yours looks great! Oh, and my mom doesn't read my blog either...sniffle sniffle!

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Ninnies and Nini

Our family got to attend the monthly stake temple day at the Taipei temple on Saturday.   Lindsey and Christopher did their temple work, then waited outside on the beautiful grounds and at the chapel next door until we were finished with our session. After that, we enjoyed hamburgers at a place we heard about called California Grill, then did some exploring.
Lindsey arrived last week from Rexburg, completing 32 credit hours and her first year of college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. We are so glad to have her home with us!  She will be with us until she starts school again in September and will be taking two classes online in the meantime.  In addition to Lindsey's arrival, we've been blessed to have the company of 7-year-old Nini (her real name is Yeh Min-Yu) with us this week.  She's so darling and we love having her around too.  It's kind of funny that when Lindsey was a little toddler and she could not say her name well, she called herself Ninnies.  So we h…

Isaac's creation

One year ago today, this little angel came into our world, sent directly from heaven, without a doubt.  Isaac is our fourth child, but the first that I gave birth to.  He was the result of a successful fertility treatment called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), our first and only attempt.  The fact that I was 48 years old when I got pregnant, is a miracle in and of itself.  I had long since given up the idea of ever being able to experience pregnancy and childbirth after having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, until a rare contact from a dear friend had renewed my desire.  This is the story of how Isaac came to be, and the loving environment that welcomed him.  Take note of the numerous small miracles along the way, leading up to our pursuing this dream.

There was a three-week window of opportunity when our family had come to our Austin home for the holidays, while we were living in Taiwan for one year.  My long, lost friend sent us a beautiful Christmas card, perhaps the fi…

Flagstaff House Executive Chef Mark Monette's Family Legacy

Mark Monette, executive chef and partner of Flagstaff House, has been the man behind the scenes in the kitchen for countless special occasions and celebrations. This fine dining restaurant situated a few miles up Flagstaff Road in Boulder, perched at the Flatirons' edge with a bird's-eye view of the city, is where Monette has spent more than three decades fine-tuning his craft in this family run business. The restaurant and staff have received accolades and notoriety locally and nationally, including recognition for being named "Top Ten Restaurant in Boulder," "Most Romantic Restaurants in America" and "Best American Cuisine and Best Wine Selection." (This article is from a Q&A interview I did with him in February, 2017.)
Your father, Don Monette, bought the Flagstaff House in 1971 when you were 10 years old. What do you remember about the restaurant back in those days?
"We would come up here in the summer and work, and it was just busy al…