Skip to main content

Day six of my dream vacation

Since Sierra is moving to Houston and has been coming to almost every card camp since she moved here, I wanted to send her off with a celebration. And Robin's birthday was two days prior, so we also threw in some birthday wishes with the cupcakes I whipped up for the crafty card makers. We made some lovely cards, complete with sewing machine stitching, which I happily did for everyone. Card camp was fun, and there were 15 people here. Just beforehand, I had two unfortunate events to deal with. The first one is still creeping me out. Refer to the picture following the cupcakes.I was heating up my dinner in the microwave and stepped out of the kitchen briefly. I walked back in, and looked at the microwave and let out a squeal when I saw a disgusting MILLIPEDE (*edited to correct the name of the creature...it's a Giant Redheaded Centipede...see Jillian's comment) crawling from the vents of the microwave and I panicked. This is definitely a moment of missing my husband! I had to think fast and try to figure out what to do with this creature, and my heart was racing, and the funny thing is that the first thing I thought of was to grab my camera and take a picture of it. How stupid is that? So after I photographed the unwanted pest, I ran out to the garage to Kelly's tools, trying to find some pliers or something that I could grab the millipede with. EEEWWW! I couldn't believe I was going to have to do this, but it was so massive and disgusting, that I couldn't let it just go. I was completely unfamiliar with all the tools and was grabbing different ones, and it seemed like it was taking me forever to find something that I could grab with. I finally found something, then ran back to the kitchen, then forced myself to reach for it. It was so sick and wiggling around all over the place. If I dropped the heavy tool, it would crack the tile, but I was prepared to drop it and ruin my flooring, if it meant the animal would fall on my hand or anything like that. This thing was SOOOO long and so gross. It was about 8 inches long, and with its legs and body, it was about an inch wide.
It seemed like a mile from my microwave to the toilet, but I made it and was so thankful that the millipede didn't fall on me or the floor. I couldn't believe that after I flushed it, my uninvited guest survived the tsunami, and was STILL there. It didn't go down! I was also prepared to stop up the toilet by putting a wad of paper towels down it to take the creature with it. Luckily, two paper towels wadded together did the trick with the next flush. It had probably drowned by then and couldn't use its legs to anchor down any more. That thing was strong. I still keep seeing images of it wiggling from out of my microwave vents and cannot get it out of my mind and hope I can get over this soon.

After card camp, I invited anyone who wanted to linger longer a chance to watch a movie with me, so Robin was game and we watched Hugh Grant in About a Boy, which after it had begun, I realized that I had previously seen it. It was a good movie and worth seeing a second time. Robin and I had fun talking until about 4 am! She drove home to Round Rock, as I went straight to bed.

I almost forgot to mention the other item of my series of unfortunate events prior to card camp. I must have been thinking about that nasty millipede as I was unloading the dishwasher. I was putting a glass lid away into the cabinet, and at about seven minutes before 16 people were going to show up at my house, I dropped the Pyrex lid, which then shattered into thousands of pieces of glass and went all over the counter top, stove top, into my Tool Turnabout, all over the kitchen floor. A tiny piece of glass went into my foot, as I was wearing sandals. It was disastrous and I had a few more things I needed to get ready before everyone arrived. Thank goodness, a couple of my friends arrived and took over and cleaned it all up so beautifully and kindly as I did the final preparations for card camp. Thank you, "Two L Michelle" and Jill for cleaning up the shattered broken glass and helping me out. You both saved the day for me.

Comments

LaNan said…
I cannot believe how HUGE that thing is!!! How the heck did it get in your house!! We found a scorpion the other day and those things totally creep me out. Luckily, Dallin killed it for me. Isn't it nice to have boys to do those things?!
Kelly said…
The vent of the microwave goes up, the out to the side of the house outside to the back deck area. We live right next to the woods, so it most likely crawled in that way. When we payed the big premium for our lot, the scorpions, millipedes, spiders, foxes, wolves, and deer weren't excluded in the contract.
Kelly said…
Only part of the millipede was coming out of the microwave vents when I first spotted it, and it worked it way out while I was getting my camera. It was sickening, to say the least.
Lonna said…
Alright I have to tell you that this was one of the first Texas natives that I met when I was here by myself. First of all I hate Spiders...and by all means take this puppy into that family with all the legs. I am really glad that you caught it on the first try, because they are fast!! I am so sorry that you had to do it alone, such a creepy thing makes enjoying alone time not quite so fun. But I am so glad that you took a picture and that you were not injured in the capture. Nice work Kelly, I am so proud to know you.
Robin said…
This is so absolutely disgusting that looking at these pictures is making me queasy and I don't have a weak stomach! Being as unafraid of your scorpion as I was the other day, I would have been freaking out along with you on this one. I don't think I would have had the presence of mind to even think of grabbing a tool from the garage. That was a brilliant move, but weren't you afraid that it would escape while you were away? Grabbing your camera was smart, too, as I have never seen anything like this before. Not that I didn't believe your story, but now I can visualize how horrible this incident was for you. Thanks--I think I am going to be paranoid coming to your house for Card Camp from now on.
Kelly said…
YES, Robin! I was totally afraid. But it all happened so fast and I just did it.
Heidi said…
That is so sick- I would have dropped the pyrex too and run for my life!
Maryanne said…
Oh Kelly, Julie told me about this so I just had to check out the photos! I am screaming my head off and trying not to throw up! That is sooooooo disgusting. You are very very very brave to tackle that beast by yourself - I think I would have run for my life, then called the home teachers!
Julie V. said…
OH MY HECK! (this is what people say in Utah) When I read the first part I was grossed out, and then came to the part where you said "eight inches long" I began to scream. Out loud. And then I saw the photos. I couldn't stop screaming. I think I would have had a heart attack if I were in your shoes. You go girl! I am so proud of you sis, you took care of that beast and kicked booty.
~ Tina said…
I have to try to quickly scroll past the photos (although I'm glad you took them!) of that horrible thing... never seen anything like that before - EVER! Now I don't know if I can ever move to Austin and be your neighbor... not sure if I could EVER be as brave as you were!
YIKES! So it's embarrassing I even know this, but that is a "Giant Red-headed Centipede." This'll scare you, but those are really dangerous. I googled it real quick for you, and here's a short read on it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zormsk/511408604/
Good job on being careful! One of those put my grandpa in the ER about 20 years ago, so you can never be too cautious!
Kelly said…
Oh my goodness, Jillian! That is so sick! And scary. Thanks for the knowledge. I do not like Giant Redheaded Centipedes!
Koey said…
Madison told me about this post, so I had to look it up. We're really glad that we haven't had TOO big of a problem with the creepy-crawlies here in Dallas. I think the worst we've seen is a big old wolf spider, a bunch of toads, and a rattlesnake. I showed my mom that picture and she TOTALLY freaked out. She's really glad we don't live too close to the woods. :)
OLLLL said…
Ohmygoodness, Kelly ... I can't even imagine! It looks so horrible, and then to read the info about how dangerous it is ... WOW!

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party!

Hopefully this title, Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party , does not sound irreverent, because as an Activity Days leader, I felt compelled to come up with a fun end-of-the-summer event that is also uplifting, and after all, who doesn't love a splash in the pool on a hot day in August?  My current church calling, or official role that I volunteer for, allows me to plan two activities each month for girls ages 8 to 11, that will encourage them to learn and live the gospel, serve others, and use the talents Heavenly Father has given them, to learn to do many good things.  This year's seminary course of study for high school students is The Book of Mormon, and since I am a huge fan of this inspired book of scripture, I came up with this idea to have each girl show up to my house with a written summary of one of her favorite stories from within its many pages, and share it with the rest of the girls, while outside in our swimsuits near our backyard swimming pool!  As each girl shares

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan.  Who would have thoug

Elder Larson to return from Thailand soon

Soon is relative, I suppose. Our son has been away from home more than a year and a half as he has been volunteering as a full-time missionary in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since September 14, 2016. He will be home in four months and is working so hard, knowing his time there is winding down. He has been assigned to train Elder Ben Meyer, from Sydney, Australia, as they serve in Ubon, Thailand. Christopher has been there since November. We are very proud of his dedication and hard work. This week in Thailand, the new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, with his wife, Wendy Nelson, along with one of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and his wife, Patricia Holland, will be on their world ministering tour and be where our son is. The Church members and missionaries in Thailand are very excited and happy for this special visit! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I look forward to pictures and stories to come.