Skip to main content

Linda visits from Chicago

Linda and I were roommates at BYU for one semester before Kelly and I got married. She and I haven't kept in touch very well over the years, but she surprised us with a visit the last few days and we had a ball. She arrived Thursday at lunch time, so I planned a luncheon with two others, Paige and RuthAnn, to welcome Linda. We had a nice light lunch with a deluxe salad, complete with Linda's favorite ingredients. Afterwards, the kids came home from school and Linda got to meet them one at a time, and get acquainted. Our next two days with Linda was so delightful. Lindsey and Christopher enjoyed meeting with my college girlfriend and getting to know her.
Both kids adored Linda and could tell she is really nice and why I love being around her.
She's really got flair!
We did our normal adventures when we have guests pop in to see us for a few days, like heading up to Mount Bonnell, this time to see the view at night.
We visited the capital of Texas and here we are laughing hard over something and Lindsey snapped it.
We walked around the capital and everyone was blaming Linda for bringing the chilly weather with her from Chicago. She loaned me some gloves to help my hands stay warm.
Lindsey was named after two people, and this sweet friend of mine, is one of them. Lindsey is named Lindsey Elizabeth after my friend, Linda Elizabeth. The other person (Rebekah's mother) is no longer with us.
We took Linda to see where Kelly works and here we are in the elevator at his office building.
It's always a must to take our out-of-town guests to the County Line to experience Texas barbecue. Linda loved it. (Heidi, one of these days, when you come to Austin, I'll take you there.)
It's been a little more than four years since her husband's airplane accident when she became a widow. Brian and Linda had only been married about three years and had planned to have children, but hadn't yet before then. So I guess she'll have to come out to Austin more often so I can share mine with her! We love you, Linda! You're welcome any time.

Comments

Heidi said…
You are such a great hostess! That is so sad about her husband.
Linda was such a fun person. I can see why you both get along so well. I bet the weekend was full of laughs. Glad you got to reconnect with a great friend. Thanks for lunch. It was so good!
Bobbi said…
Old friends can be so fun to reconnect with. Glad you had fun. She sounds like an enjoyable person to be around. And Austin is a great city to visit!
Julie V. said…
Can you just send me some of that Texas barbeque instead of talking about it already!? I remember Linda at your wedding reception having to trade dresses with me because my dress didn't fit or something. It messed up the rainbow effect you had going with the dresses and all, but it all worked out!;)
Kelly said…
Julie, Valerie, Tracy, Debbie, Brenda, and Linda: Please accept my apologies for making you wear those hideous dresses from our wedding reception. I hope you have all thrown them in the trash.
Mandi said…
Hey! Can I come for a visit and do all the Texas fun stuff? I am sure craving some Texas BBQ. What a good friend you have and are!
I would LOVE to go to Chicago! Next time you should go there, and take my mother, and ill tag along!

HA!
Lonna said…
You do know how to have a good time. I am glad that you are still in touch with so many friends. I remember when you stared your facebook page, and within a matter of hours you had at least a hundred friends. You are so likable it is easy to see why everyone wants to spend time with you and come and visit you.
Julie said…
It looks like you definitely had a good time and I agree, County Line is a must for out of town guests!
Maryanne said…
What a great time you had with your friend. She looks like such a nice lady!!

Now I am curious about those reception dresses....post the pics, post the pics!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party!

Hopefully this title, Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party , does not sound irreverent, because as an Activity Days leader, I felt compelled to come up with a fun end-of-the-summer event that is also uplifting, and after all, who doesn't love a splash in the pool on a hot day in August?  My current church calling, or official role that I volunteer for, allows me to plan two activities each month for girls ages 8 to 11, that will encourage them to learn and live the gospel, serve others, and use the talents Heavenly Father has given them, to learn to do many good things.  This year's seminary course of study for high school students is The Book of Mormon, and since I am a huge fan of this inspired book of scripture, I came up with this idea to have each girl show up to my house with a written summary of one of her favorite stories from within its many pages, and share it with the rest of the girls, while outside in our swimsuits near our backyard swimming pool!  As each girl shares

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan.  Who would have thoug

Elder Larson to return from Thailand soon

Soon is relative, I suppose. Our son has been away from home more than a year and a half as he has been volunteering as a full-time missionary in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since September 14, 2016. He will be home in four months and is working so hard, knowing his time there is winding down. He has been assigned to train Elder Ben Meyer, from Sydney, Australia, as they serve in Ubon, Thailand. Christopher has been there since November. We are very proud of his dedication and hard work. This week in Thailand, the new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, with his wife, Wendy Nelson, along with one of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and his wife, Patricia Holland, will be on their world ministering tour and be where our son is. The Church members and missionaries in Thailand are very excited and happy for this special visit! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I look forward to pictures and stories to come.