Skip to main content

Fabric store run to Taipei

For my new volunteer position as the Relief Society meeting coordinator at our church, the president of the organization asked if I could plan something that will enable the women to do some kind of a sewing project for our December Christmas-themed meeting, after which we will donate the quilts. What immediately came to mind was the same activity that we had done in Austin for our stake women's conference that I helped to plan and carry out for the last two years--baby quilts! I made the suggestion and she loved the idea and said that's exactly what she had in mind.

I have never seen a fabric store since I moved to Taiwan, but found plenty today when I drove my car from Hsinchu to Taipei for the first time, taking along two wonderful, delightful women with me, Abish and Charlotte. Abish is the voice of an angel who normally translates the church meetings into English on Sundays for us and Charlotte is one of my sweet visiting teachers, and her daughter, Joy is in the play. We left this morning for the one-hour drive that Charlotte navigated for. Abish normally drives a scooter, so it worked fine for me to drive, so I could figure out how to go there again.
We went to a traditional Taiwanese market where there are many vendors who have their own individual shops, sandwiched close to each other without permanent walls or structures, each store just a few feet from the others, where customers can theoretically bargain for lower prices. That wasn't the case today, but we purchased fabric to make seven different baby quilts. I didn't send any of my sewing things with the shippers before we moved, so this afternoon, I bought some scissors, pins, needles, thread, and batting also. We ended up with a bright and cheery combination of prints then we will pool our efforts together to magically create the baby quilts with TLC and Christmas spirit for our humanitarian aid service project. Here's what we have:

1) red and ivory little piggy
2) yellow dinosaur with red polka dots
3) pink and brown gingerbread man
4) blue elephant with yellow polka dots
5) yellow stripe with blue whale gingham
6) bunny bear pals with turquoise polka dots
7) green transportation with red gingham
The work is cut out for me this weekend to wash and dry all the fabric, then iron all of it and prepare it to be distributed, plus sew and complete one quilt to show as a sample for next week's meeting. Hopefully the sewing machine that Charlotte loans me will be easy enough to figure out. I'll be sure to post pictures of the event and the finished quilts in the future.

Comments

Heidi said…
Those sisters are so lucky to have you in their ward. Your talents and skills will for sure enrich all their lives!
Amanda said…
I love the fabric you guys chose! Those quilts will be adorable.
sayfuzzypickles said…
I like the #6 combo the best. SO CUTE. I told you you should have brought craft stuff! I'm glad you are going to have this project to keep you busy. You will do a fantastic job.
Kelly said…
Julie, I really like that combination too. I got those fabrics in two different shops.
Rebecca Robison said…
Hello! I saw your comment while browsing tonight and found your blog using: mormon dot org!
The internet is really an amazing thing, isn't it?
I love your blog!!
Thank you, for posting about pumpkin muffins... my husband's fave is a pumpkin cookie so I'm going to have to try those! Yum!
Anonymous said…
I love the baby fabrics you got on your shopping spree in Taipei. Have fun sewing, I hope that machine you are borrowing is smooth sailing.

Popular posts from this blog

Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party!

Hopefully this title, Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party , does not sound irreverent, because as an Activity Days leader, I felt compelled to come up with a fun end-of-the-summer event that is also uplifting, and after all, who doesn't love a splash in the pool on a hot day in August?  My current church calling, or official role that I volunteer for, allows me to plan two activities each month for girls ages 8 to 11, that will encourage them to learn and live the gospel, serve others, and use the talents Heavenly Father has given them, to learn to do many good things.  This year's seminary course of study for high school students is The Book of Mormon, and since I am a huge fan of this inspired book of scripture, I came up with this idea to have each girl show up to my house with a written summary of one of her favorite stories from within its many pages, and share it with the rest of the girls, while outside in our swimsuits near our backyard swimming pool!  As each girl shares

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan.  Who would have thoug

Elder Larson to return from Thailand soon

Soon is relative, I suppose. Our son has been away from home more than a year and a half as he has been volunteering as a full-time missionary in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since September 14, 2016. He will be home in four months and is working so hard, knowing his time there is winding down. He has been assigned to train Elder Ben Meyer, from Sydney, Australia, as they serve in Ubon, Thailand. Christopher has been there since November. We are very proud of his dedication and hard work. This week in Thailand, the new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, with his wife, Wendy Nelson, along with one of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and his wife, Patricia Holland, will be on their world ministering tour and be where our son is. The Church members and missionaries in Thailand are very excited and happy for this special visit! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I look forward to pictures and stories to come.