Skip to main content

Fabric store run to Taipei

For my new volunteer position as the Relief Society meeting coordinator at our church, the president of the organization asked if I could plan something that will enable the women to do some kind of a sewing project for our December Christmas-themed meeting, after which we will donate the quilts. What immediately came to mind was the same activity that we had done in Austin for our stake women's conference that I helped to plan and carry out for the last two years--baby quilts! I made the suggestion and she loved the idea and said that's exactly what she had in mind.

I have never seen a fabric store since I moved to Taiwan, but found plenty today when I drove my car from Hsinchu to Taipei for the first time, taking along two wonderful, delightful women with me, Abish and Charlotte. Abish is the voice of an angel who normally translates the church meetings into English on Sundays for us and Charlotte is one of my sweet visiting teachers, and her daughter, Joy is in the play. We left this morning for the one-hour drive that Charlotte navigated for. Abish normally drives a scooter, so it worked fine for me to drive, so I could figure out how to go there again.
We went to a traditional Taiwanese market where there are many vendors who have their own individual shops, sandwiched close to each other without permanent walls or structures, each store just a few feet from the others, where customers can theoretically bargain for lower prices. That wasn't the case today, but we purchased fabric to make seven different baby quilts. I didn't send any of my sewing things with the shippers before we moved, so this afternoon, I bought some scissors, pins, needles, thread, and batting also. We ended up with a bright and cheery combination of prints then we will pool our efforts together to magically create the baby quilts with TLC and Christmas spirit for our humanitarian aid service project. Here's what we have:

1) red and ivory little piggy
2) yellow dinosaur with red polka dots
3) pink and brown gingerbread man
4) blue elephant with yellow polka dots
5) yellow stripe with blue whale gingham
6) bunny bear pals with turquoise polka dots
7) green transportation with red gingham
The work is cut out for me this weekend to wash and dry all the fabric, then iron all of it and prepare it to be distributed, plus sew and complete one quilt to show as a sample for next week's meeting. Hopefully the sewing machine that Charlotte loans me will be easy enough to figure out. I'll be sure to post pictures of the event and the finished quilts in the future.

Comments

Heidi said…
Those sisters are so lucky to have you in their ward. Your talents and skills will for sure enrich all their lives!
Amanda said…
I love the fabric you guys chose! Those quilts will be adorable.
Julie said…
I like the #6 combo the best. SO CUTE. I told you you should have brought craft stuff! I'm glad you are going to have this project to keep you busy. You will do a fantastic job.
Kelly said…
Julie, I really like that combination too. I got those fabrics in two different shops.
Hello! I saw your comment while browsing tonight and found your blog using: mormon dot org!
The internet is really an amazing thing, isn't it?
I love your blog!!
Thank you, for posting about pumpkin muffins... my husband's fave is a pumpkin cookie so I'm going to have to try those! Yum!
Anonymous said…
I love the baby fabrics you got on your shopping spree in Taipei. Have fun sewing, I hope that machine you are borrowing is smooth sailing.

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Ninnies and Nini

Our family got to attend the monthly stake temple day at the Taipei temple on Saturday.   Lindsey and Christopher did their temple work, then waited outside on the beautiful grounds and at the chapel next door until we were finished with our session. After that, we enjoyed hamburgers at a place we heard about called California Grill, then did some exploring.
Lindsey arrived last week from Rexburg, completing 32 credit hours and her first year of college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. We are so glad to have her home with us!  She will be with us until she starts school again in September and will be taking two classes online in the meantime.  In addition to Lindsey's arrival, we've been blessed to have the company of 7-year-old Nini (her real name is Yeh Min-Yu) with us this week.  She's so darling and we love having her around too.  It's kind of funny that when Lindsey was a little toddler and she could not say her name well, she called herself Ninnies.  So we h…

Isaac's creation

One year ago today, this little angel came into our world, sent directly from heaven, without a doubt.  Isaac is our fourth child, but the first that I gave birth to.  He was the result of a successful fertility treatment called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), our first and only attempt.  The fact that I was 48 years old when I got pregnant, is a miracle in and of itself.  I had long since given up the idea of ever being able to experience pregnancy and childbirth after having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, until a rare contact from a dear friend had renewed my desire.  This is the story of how Isaac came to be, and the loving environment that welcomed him.  Take note of the numerous small miracles along the way, leading up to our pursuing this dream.

There was a three-week window of opportunity when our family had come to our Austin home for the holidays, while we were living in Taiwan for one year.  My long, lost friend sent us a beautiful Christmas card, perhaps the fi…

Flagstaff House Executive Chef Mark Monette's Family Legacy

Mark Monette, executive chef and partner of Flagstaff House, has been the man behind the scenes in the kitchen for countless special occasions and celebrations. This fine dining restaurant situated a few miles up Flagstaff Road in Boulder, perched at the Flatirons' edge with a bird's-eye view of the city, is where Monette has spent more than three decades fine-tuning his craft in this family run business. The restaurant and staff have received accolades and notoriety locally and nationally, including recognition for being named "Top Ten Restaurant in Boulder," "Most Romantic Restaurants in America" and "Best American Cuisine and Best Wine Selection." (This article is from a Q&A interview I did with him in February, 2017.)
Your father, Don Monette, bought the Flagstaff House in 1971 when you were 10 years old. What do you remember about the restaurant back in those days?
"We would come up here in the summer and work, and it was just busy al…