Skip to main content

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

Since we moved to Taiwan, I have been trying to recreate some of my baked goods with a little less sugar to be more appealing to the local preferences. A few days ago, I revamped a fall favorite recipe that I love from Internecipes for pumpkin chocolate chip muffins to serve at a party for my son and several of his new Taiwanese friends. In addition to cutting down the sugar content, I cut out some of the oil as well, and I was quite happy with the results. These mini muffins did not seem unsweetened at all and I loved baking them in my one and only ridiculously over-priced flexible mini muffin tray by Demarle at Home, because they popped right out almost immediately from the oven, in perfect form.

Enjoy the recipe!
  • 1 15-ounce can pumpkin
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 12 ounce bag of chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Mix everything together in a large bowl until well blended then scoop them into a mini muffin pan.o pan. Since I use a silicone pan that nothing sticks to, I don't need non-stick spray or paper liners.  I fill each mini muffin cup by using a medium stainless scoop (heaping scoops).  Bake for 20 minutes.  After they've cooled slightly, they will easily pop out of the muffin tray.  This recipe will make about 60 mini muffins.

Just before I was going to add this recipe to my blog, I saw another version that looks really good on My Kitchen Cafe blog. You've got to check out her blog for some amazing recipes, pictures and cooking tutorials.

I took this next picture at a local grocery store and it has absolutely nothing to do with this recipe, but I wanted to post it anyway. This is a wall of soy sauce! Who would have thought there would be this many options for soy sauce? You should see the rice aisle if you think this is impressive. I love Taiwan.

Oh, by the way, the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins were a big hit at the party. Now if only I could track down more canned pumpkin, I'll be thrilled. I only brought two cans with me from the US, and am saving the last can for Thanksgiving. I hope I can come across canned pumpkin here soon or my suitcase will be filled with it the next time I come back from overseas.

Comments

Bobbi said…
Our German friends are not as into sugary tasting things, either. We Americans consume too much of it, for sure. Thanks for the revised recipe. Christopher looks so handsome in the picture from your Christopher Appreciation Day post! The parties sound like fun. You are such a great hostess, even without a common language to cummunicate. Nice job!
Casa de Mask said…
Yummy recipe...I'll have to give it a try! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Ninnies and Nini

Our family got to attend the monthly stake temple day at the Taipei temple on Saturday.   Lindsey and Christopher did their temple work, then waited outside on the beautiful grounds and at the chapel next door until we were finished with our session. After that, we enjoyed hamburgers at a place we heard about called California Grill, then did some exploring.
Lindsey arrived last week from Rexburg, completing 32 credit hours and her first year of college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. We are so glad to have her home with us!  She will be with us until she starts school again in September and will be taking two classes online in the meantime.  In addition to Lindsey's arrival, we've been blessed to have the company of 7-year-old Nini (her real name is Yeh Min-Yu) with us this week.  She's so darling and we love having her around too.  It's kind of funny that when Lindsey was a little toddler and she could not say her name well, she called herself Ninnies.  So we h…

Isaac's creation

One year ago today, this little angel came into our world, sent directly from heaven, without a doubt.  Isaac is our fourth child, but the first that I gave birth to.  He was the result of a successful fertility treatment called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), our first and only attempt.  The fact that I was 48 years old when I got pregnant, is a miracle in and of itself.  I had long since given up the idea of ever being able to experience pregnancy and childbirth after having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, until a rare contact from a dear friend had renewed my desire.  This is the story of how Isaac came to be, and the loving environment that welcomed him.  Take note of the numerous small miracles along the way, leading up to our pursuing this dream.

There was a three-week window of opportunity when our family had come to our Austin home for the holidays, while we were living in Taiwan for one year.  My long, lost friend sent us a beautiful Christmas card, perhaps the fi…

Flagstaff House Executive Chef Mark Monette's Family Legacy

Mark Monette, executive chef and partner of Flagstaff House, has been the man behind the scenes in the kitchen for countless special occasions and celebrations. This fine dining restaurant situated a few miles up Flagstaff Road in Boulder, perched at the Flatirons' edge with a bird's-eye view of the city, is where Monette has spent more than three decades fine-tuning his craft in this family run business. The restaurant and staff have received accolades and notoriety locally and nationally, including recognition for being named "Top Ten Restaurant in Boulder," "Most Romantic Restaurants in America" and "Best American Cuisine and Best Wine Selection." (This article is from a Q&A interview I did with him in February, 2017.)
Your father, Don Monette, bought the Flagstaff House in 1971 when you were 10 years old. What do you remember about the restaurant back in those days?
"We would come up here in the summer and work, and it was just busy al…