Skip to main content

Lunch with Demi and Charlotte

Every month I schedule a visit in my home with Demi and Charlotte, some of my friends from church, who come by to check on me to make sure I'm doing fine. It's always a pleasure. We had talked about eating lunch out, but I suggested that they come by so I could cook for them. Demi asked me if I would show her how to make something Mexican, so I made beef tostadas served with Touchdown Taco Dip, and the food was a big hit. Charlotte told me she was in heaven as she dined on her meal. She was so cute, as she sat comfortably at my dining table, savoring each bite, taking note of the pleasant music playing in the background, fully appreciating the delicious meal that someone else had cooked for her.
While those of you who are in the United States may be seeing this, it's probably no big deal t you. I actually bought a package of 90 tortillas at HEB on my last trip to Texas, then carried them on the plane, took them through security, simply because my luggage weight was maxed out, and I have yet to locate them in Taiwan. The US airport security obviously sees a lot of tortillas, as they were wagering on whether they were made from flour or corn as they passed through the x-ray screen overhead. Once I got them home, I then divided my huge stack of tortillas into smaller portions, stuck them in my freezer, and was now sharing the last of my stash.

As far as the ground beef goes, it's hard to locate in Hsinchu. It finally occurred to me one day that I could use the pre-shaped hamburger patties in the freezer section at Costco when I want a pound of ground beef, a very common ingredient to Americans. After lunch, I asked Charlotte to help me find the cleaners where our clothes were since I couldn't remember, as all the Chinese signs tend to blend together in my head. I've driven along Minghu Lu multiple times in search of the cleaners, to no avail. Once Charlotte helped me find it, based on the address, I took a picture of the sign so I could find it the next time I need to, then realized there is also English on it that I had overlooked somehow.
Demi brought me a pretty purple necklace for Christmas which I wore back home to Texas on the airplane. (We're in Texas for the holidays, by the way.) I gave each of my friends a small package of Texas corn bread mix and an uplifting quote little plaque that I had gotten when I was in Rexburg taking Lindsey to college.
I will be back in Taiwan after the new year and I'll be sure to post some happenings in the meantime from Austin, our home sweet home. We miss our Taiwan friends while we are temporarily away and love them so much!

Comments

Heidi said…
Gotta have those tortillas!

Merry Christmas Kelly!
Jess said…
How long are you home for? I would love to see you!!

email me!

Jess :)
Julie said…
I love home made Mexican food
Bobbi said…
Merry Christmas, Kelly! Have a great time in Texas! (The food looks scrumptious!)

Popular posts from this blog

Fun with Ninnies and Nini

Our family got to attend the monthly stake temple day at the Taipei temple on Saturday.   Lindsey and Christopher did their temple work, then waited outside on the beautiful grounds and at the chapel next door until we were finished with our session. After that, we enjoyed hamburgers at a place we heard about called California Grill, then did some exploring.
Lindsey arrived last week from Rexburg, completing 32 credit hours and her first year of college at Brigham Young University-Idaho. We are so glad to have her home with us!  She will be with us until she starts school again in September and will be taking two classes online in the meantime.  In addition to Lindsey's arrival, we've been blessed to have the company of 7-year-old Nini (her real name is Yeh Min-Yu) with us this week.  She's so darling and we love having her around too.  It's kind of funny that when Lindsey was a little toddler and she could not say her name well, she called herself Ninnies.  So we h…

Isaac's creation

One year ago today, this little angel came into our world, sent directly from heaven, without a doubt.  Isaac is our fourth child, but the first that I gave birth to.  He was the result of a successful fertility treatment called In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), our first and only attempt.  The fact that I was 48 years old when I got pregnant, is a miracle in and of itself.  I had long since given up the idea of ever being able to experience pregnancy and childbirth after having been diagnosed with unexplained infertility, until a rare contact from a dear friend had renewed my desire.  This is the story of how Isaac came to be, and the loving environment that welcomed him.  Take note of the numerous small miracles along the way, leading up to our pursuing this dream.

There was a three-week window of opportunity when our family had come to our Austin home for the holidays, while we were living in Taiwan for one year.  My long, lost friend sent us a beautiful Christmas card, perhaps the fi…

Flagstaff House Executive Chef Mark Monette's Family Legacy

Mark Monette, executive chef and partner of Flagstaff House, has been the man behind the scenes in the kitchen for countless special occasions and celebrations. This fine dining restaurant situated a few miles up Flagstaff Road in Boulder, perched at the Flatirons' edge with a bird's-eye view of the city, is where Monette has spent more than three decades fine-tuning his craft in this family run business. The restaurant and staff have received accolades and notoriety locally and nationally, including recognition for being named "Top Ten Restaurant in Boulder," "Most Romantic Restaurants in America" and "Best American Cuisine and Best Wine Selection." (This article is from a Q&A interview I did with him in February, 2017.)
Your father, Don Monette, bought the Flagstaff House in 1971 when you were 10 years old. What do you remember about the restaurant back in those days?
"We would come up here in the summer and work, and it was just busy al…