Skip to main content

Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party!

Hopefully this title, Book of Mormon Stories Pool Party, does not sound irreverent, because as an Activity Days leader, I felt compelled to come up with a fun end-of-the-summer event that is also uplifting, and after all, who doesn't love a splash in the pool on a hot day in August?  My current church calling, or official role that I volunteer for, allows me to plan two activities each month for girls ages 8 to 11, that will encourage them to learn and live the gospel, serve others, and use the talents Heavenly Father has given them, to learn to do many good things.  This year's seminary course of study for high school students is The Book of Mormon, and since I am a huge fan of this inspired book of scripture, I came up with this idea to have each girl show up to my house with a written summary of one of her favorite stories from within its many pages, and share it with the rest of the girls, while outside in our swimsuits near our backyard swimming pool!  As each girl shares her Book of Mormon story, we all listen, then give her a round of applause, before she takes a plunge into the deep end of the pool.  Clapping is also not the normal reaction for telling a gospel related story traditionally.  For some reason though, I feel really good about this event and the details.  It will be memorable for these little girls, who already have such incredible faith in the gospel and try hard to follow in Jesus' footsteps and be good examples.

I'll continue this post tomorrow after the event, and in the meantime, please check out this introduction of The Book of Mormon, which changed my life when I was about 10 or 11 years old, and I love deeply.  (Random fact for throwback Thursday: "Back in my day," ha ha, when I converted at that age to become a Mormon, instead of attending Activity Days, I was a Merry Miss! It's the same general idea as Activity Days, but with an updated name.) 

Book of Mormon: An Apostle's Introduction

The girls will arrive here tomorrow afternoon from 4:30 to 5:30, and I'm expecting anywhere between six to twelve to attend.  While doing some back to school shopping today with my ten-year-old, I found some t-shirts at Old Navy that say TOTALLY on the front, and AWESOME on the back, that remind me of my enthusiasm for The Book of Mormon, so I bought all the shirts they had left in the store, and subsequently drove to Round Rock to stock up on a few more for back up, in the unlikely event that everyone will actually show up.  Each cutie pie will get a shirt (which I scored for $6 each) and will leave with some long-lasting memories of a very fun event, and stronger testimonies of this totally awesome book.

Follow-up:  Our activity was so much fun and the girls were well prepared and enthusiastic and did such a great job.  I could hardly believe that sixteen of them showed up! That's a record breaking attendance since I've been doing this for a year.   Thank you to the parents for helping their daughters with transportation to my house--there was a bad accident on one of the main roads near our neighborhood--and for their teaching their children well.  Clink on this YouTube link to see a 24-second flipagram video I put together that captures the setting quite nicely.
From left to right, the back to the left, those who attended are Natasha, Brianne, Livvy, Abbie, Livia, Claire, Celine, Monica, Hannah, Audrey, Taylor, (hidden) Jazlyn, Rachael, Lauren, Sophia, and Ellie.

Comments

Buddy Roberts said…
This is awesome Kelly!
Anonymous said…
yummy girls! hope you teach them that their bodies are made to please men and carry children, even at that age! they should be experimenting with slow penetration already and feeling cum inside of them

Popular posts from this blog

Elder Larson to return from Thailand soon

Soon is relative, I suppose. Our son has been away from home more than a year and a half as he has been volunteering as a full-time missionary in the Thailand Bangkok Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints since September 14, 2016. He will be home in four months and is working so hard, knowing his time there is winding down. He has been assigned to train Elder Ben Meyer, from Sydney, Australia, as they serve in Ubon, Thailand. Christopher has been there since November. We are very proud of his dedication and hard work. This week in Thailand, the new prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, with his wife, Wendy Nelson, along with one of the Twelve Apostles, Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, and his wife, Patricia Holland, will be on their world ministering tour and be where our son is. The Church members and missionaries in Thailand are very excited and happy for this special visit! I can't wait to hear how it goes, and I look forward to pictures and stories to come.

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan.  Who would have thoug