Skip to main content

Squirrel sighting in pecan tree

As I was backing out of the driveway tonight, I saw this squirrel pigging out while sitting on a branch of our little pecan tree. I was caught off guard because I have never seen one there. I don't think. I see squirrels all the time in the cedar elm tree and live oak trees in our backyard, but because the pecan tree is still young (for a pecan tree) it doesn't produce pecans yet. I don't know what it was munching on. Someone told us that we'll hate the squirrels when the tree starts bearing pecans. It's been in for five years or so and supposedly we still have several more years to wait. They are supposed to get huge too. I just had to grab my camera and capture this image of this content little squirrel having a grand time in our tree. It really put a smile on my face. Click on the photo to see him more closely. Ignore the dead leaves and flowers in the bed. I neglected to plant pansies this winter for the first time in a while. Next year, I won't skip the pansies because I have missed them for winter color and appeal.

Comments

Gabrielle said…
I like squirrels. I didn't know it took SO long for a Pecan tree to produce pecans! I've been wanting to plant one, but it looks like that is a really long-term investment kind of a tree.
Callisto said…
We don't get a lot of squirrels in our area. I guess you better appreciate them while you can; before they become pecan-devouring nuisances!
Amanda said…
We have tons of pecan trees around where we live and also tons of squirrels! Emily loves to watch them, so I'm happy with it.
Bobbi said…
Squirrels are entertaining--but I hope he won't eat your future pecans!
Mandi said…
What a cute little guy, just balancing himself perfectly on a limb. You should name him!!:)
Maryanne said…
Oh ya, cute now, but just wait until you can't keep them out of your pecans. You'll be cursing them!

Popular posts from this blog

It's my birthday!

Here's a cute little picture of me in kindergarten, 1968. All my life, I've never forgotten this shot below in first grade (1969) when the photog asked me to say "peaches" and he snapped the shot at the "ch" sound. If you're trying to get a kid to smile, don't tell them to say peaches. It's scarred me for life. Mom, what the heck happened to my hair? Did I fix it myself? After all, I was in second grade and very capable. My grandma crocheted that groovy vest for me, but who is responsible for the hack job on my hair? Hello, 1970! Who knows where my third grade picture is. We moved so often, changing schools, that I might have missed picture day. Next is my fourth grade mug shot. I must have sworn off bangs by then. Thank goodness for those plastic barrettes to deal with the in-between length. Notice how every year I wore green? Yeah, it's been my favorite color for as long as I can remember. I don't have an actual school pic of me in f...

The BIG REVEAL!

We LOVE our new pool! There are a couple of problems that need to be fixed, so we're crossing our fingers that they get it done right, and soon, considering we have given them the final check for the balance of the pool, and we don't have any leverage. Three of the waterfalls work. This is the main one and I like the natural look. Below, here's the deep end waterfall, and it's flows nicely. The water sheer like this one, that flows into the shallow beach area, is the fall that is not working. It's frustrating, but hopefully they'll fix it soon. The fountain in the spa is blocked too. Here's the small rock waterfall, which works just great. It took about 18 hours to fill the pool and we practically watched it gallon by gallon. I stayed up all night long, making sure it didn't overflow. We swim in it every day. Last night we went on a midnight swim and it was beautiful. The water temperature is perfect. I'm extremely thankful that we have our new...

Our new daughter!

This picture was taken at church a few days ago while Kelly was on his way to the US for work this week. We have some wonderful news to share.  We are adopting 7-year-old Yeh Min Yu, who has been in our home off and on the last couple of months.  There's a lot that goes into making this official, dealing with US Homeland Security to arrange for her immigration visa, Taiwan courts and Chinese documents, getting a home study done by a licensed, qualified person, applying for a passport.  You have no idea.  I'll be glad when it's all done, but I couldn't wait to share this bit of joy with everyone.  We will name her Hannah to go on her new US birth certificate.  She's excited and nervous to go to America with us.  She can say more than 100 words in English so far.  Some of her favorite things to say are "small dog, butterfly, apple, pig."  She says it more like pig-uh.  We love her and feel this is one of the reasons we came to Taiwan....